Computer Cluster Information Page
All system-wide information should be here.
Comments should be added for *where* it is, how one might start using
it, etc. Should we restrict access to within Caltech?
The system administrators for the Moore building (Dimitris
Sakellariou, Naveed Neer-Ansari, and Michael Potter) are responsible
for keeping our computer cluster purring along. Please email
email@example.com if you notice anything broken. They also do
software installs in a way that maintains all our machines in an
- Cluster set-up (note: other information can be found in /home/cluster_info)
- Software is installed in /software/bin and /research/bin. These should
be in your path. See
this file for
instructions on how to do this yourself, if you have "sudo" permission.
- These web pages are in /home/www/html on centrosome (also linked from /research/public_html and /www on selected machines). Anyone in the group
dnausers should be able to edit these files: in fact, it is
your responsibility as a lab member to do so appropriately.
- There is a CVS directory in /research/CVS. See Joseph Schaeffer's
CVS help file (cvsdoc text file;
for instructions on how to
use CVS to coordinate research projects. Also see on-line help,
- Migrating to Red Hat Linux 8.0 in summer 2003, we are adopting the
OpenMosix distributed cluster
architecture -- which means processes can (and just do!)
migrate around and use
all the available CPU cycles. "top" now tells you all the processes
running on the cluster; "openmosixview" is a more extensive GUI.
More information can be found
on the web site; try "man openmosix" for helpful commands controlling
process migration (at the end of the man page).
- Email lists on the DNA cluster
announcements such as interesting talks, group meetings,
this includes "interested parties", Hideo's group, Niles' group,
other people who request to be on the list, past members.
Here is a list of people on announce.
people who work in the lab now. lab policy, new instruments or
Here is a list of people on lab.
everyone who has an account on our cluster, including the
Here is a list of people on accounts.
This includes both the Moore building
system administrators, as well as DNA lab people with sysadmin
Here is a list of people on sysadmin.
People mainting the website. List..
- Email lists around campus that you may want to subscribe to:
Nucleotide Machine Status
- CNS-interest : to subscribe or unsubscribe, email Heather Hein at firstname.lastname@example.org
- the CS mailing list (cs-dept) to subscribe or unscribe, email Jeri Chittum at email@example.com
- be-seminar -- Bioengineering seminar subjects and times
- sysnet-seminar -- Computer science seminar subjects and times
- biomail -- Biology department seminars, including biolunch
- The last three lists can be joined using the Caltech mailing list server.
To subscribe to Caltech mailing list "foo", send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with body "subscribe foo".
To unsubscribe from Caltech mailing list "foo", send mail to email@example.com with body "unsubscribe foo"
- other lists?
- Printers available
- HP 4550 color laser printer: in the printer room on a network spooler,
available on Linux as -Pcolor with continuations "d" for duplex,
"d2" for duplex 2 pages/sheet, "2" for 2 pages/sheet single-sided, and
"t" for transparencies. E.g. -Pcolord is the default.
Windows XP, and
- Samsung 7050 B/W laser: in the library, on a network spooler,
available on Linux as -Psamsunghid, samsunghi,
samsungd, samsung, where "hi" is higher-resolution, "d" is duplex.
The printer itself should always be set in "duplex long" mode.
- Epson 777 color inkjet: on the SPEX computer only.
(BTW: thank Hideo for this present!)
- HP 990sce color inkjet: on AFM computer only (temporarily disconnected)
- HP 630?? color inkjet: on AVIV computer only.
- More printer information is here.
- Accounts on other machines
- For accounts on the CS & UGCS cluster, use
form, and enter that the justification is that you are in my
lab, and mention that you should be in the "bio" group (for
- Note that the CS cluster has a compute grid server.
- Necleotide1 - online
- Necleotide2 - online
- Necleotide3 - online
- Necleotide4 - online
- Necleotide5 - online
- Necleotide6 - online
- Necleotide7 - offline
- Necleotide8 - online
- Necleotide9 - online
- Necleotide10 - offline
- Necleotide11 - online
- Necleotide12 - online
- Necleotide13 - online
- Necleotide14 - online
- Necleotide15 - online - possible memory problems - swap_free: Bad swap offset entry
- Necleotide16 - online
Erik Winfree, 1/2/02